- Home >
- Somersault iPad Carrying Case
Operate seamlessly in situations when you need quick access to your iPad while keeping your hands free for other tasks. Simply turn the shoulder bag to the front of your body and flip the case open to instantly operate your device. At a conference and need a way to turn your iPad into a display? Easily disconnect the shoulder strap and reverse the backpack to create a portable iPad stand.
This unique Somersault iPad carrying case includes several beneficial features:
Main iPad Case Enclosure Features
iPad Device Slot - Designed to Fit: iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Air series
The iPad slot securely locks the iPad in place with a strong, leather-like sheath and velcro strap to prevent the iPad from sliding out. The cut outs in the sheath allow you to easily access the home button and provide an unobstructed window for the front camera. Position the iPad with the home button on either the left or right and easily access all iPad ports at anytime.
Please note: This case does not fit the iPad Mini. View the TabKeeper 360 for a unique case for the iPad Mini
Push Release Clips - There are two quick release adjustable straps to keep the case's open position at various angles for hands free use. Just swing the iPad case from a backpack position to the front of your body and flip open the case for your hands free viewing pleasure.
Sleep-wake magnets - The sleep-wake magnets conveniently turn your iPad on and off when you open and close the case. No need to worry about draining the battery anymore!
Camera Access Flap - If you need to use the rear camera, don't even take your iPad out of the case! Fold the corner of the larger outer front pocket inwards for an unobstructed camera hole.
- 2 Stylus Holders - Located close to the iPad enclosure, the 2 stylus holders are perfectly situated for easy access to your stylus or pen.
External iPad Case Features:
Weatherproof Zippers - Use the water resistant, durable high quality zippers to enclose the iPad and any other accessories you are carrying with you.
Unique reversible swivel design for easy deployment - The easy to use, quick disconnect buckle on the shoulder strap allows for quick adjustments and repositioning of the shoulder bag to be used as a messenger bag, sling-style backpack, or briefcase.
Shoulder Strap Pocket - The small, easily accessible shoulder strap pocket is a convenient safe place to store essential items like a credit card, bus card, or small phone.
6 Utility Straps - Gadgets, tools, accessories, or even a water bottle can be attached effortlessly to the elastic straps on the front and rear of the shoulder strap.
Laptop Pocket - Big enough to hold the MacBook Air and other small laptops, the rear laptop pocket provides enough room for additional items such as work documents, additional equipment, small laptops, tools, or accessories. (For a thinner version without the laptop pocket, take a look at the Somersault Slim)
Comfortable Mesh Padding - The high quality, breathable mesh padding on the rear of the case comfortably rests on the middle of your back when positioned like a backpack or rests comfortably on your lap while sitting.
2 Utility Hooks - Positioned on the main strap to be close to your body, the two utility hooks can be used to clip small devices, badges, keys, or other frequently needed accessories
TSA Compliant - Are you a frequent traveller? TSA will only allow laptops to stay in bags through screening if they provide a clear and unobstructed X-ray image of the laptop. The Somersault case is easy to open and meets these requirements. It can be opened and placed directly on the security belt for inspection at any TSA inspection gate making traveling easier, faster, and more comfortable.
- OSHA Compliant - Having both hands available at all times when on a job site is crucial for safety. Keep your hands free and open while climbing through spaces or climbing up a ladder by wearing as this iPad carrying case as a backpack.
- 2 Utility Pockets with Zip closure - Simple storage for writing utensils, accessories, or small items
Designed to Fit:
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad Air series
Please note: This case does not fit the iPad Mini. View the TabKeeper 360 for a unique case for the iPad Mini
Devices that will fit in the Laptop Storage Sleeve:
The laptop storage pocket will fit laptops up to 13" Length x 10" Width x 2" Deep.
Here are several laptops that we know fit easily in this pocket:
- Chromebook Series
- MacBook Air Series
- The New Macbook 2015
- Dell Latitude E7450
- Dell XPS 13
- Asus ZenBook UX305
- Samsung ATIV Book 9
- Toshiba Portege Z20t Ultrabook
- Toshiba Portege Z10t
- Aspire S7
- Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga
iPad Carrying Case Features:
- Overall Dimensions: Length 14" Width 10.5" Thickness 2.5"
- Body Material: Military Grade Weatherproof Ballistic Nylon
- Inside Material: Sturdy Closed Cell Foam
- Front Panel Material: Nylon Polyester Diamond Ripstop
- Front Panel Color: Gray
- Zippers: Made in the USA YKK
- Clips: Push Button Release
- Shoulder Strap Buckle: Quick Release
- Designed / Patented in the USA
- TSA and OSHA Compliant
- Unique swivel design for use as a messenger bag, slingpack, backpack or briefcase
- Unique reversible design for desktop deployment. Flips inside-out 180 degrees
- Features dual zipper deployment and one handed removal
- Embedded magnets accommodates the sleep/wake sensor located on the iPad 2 and newer iPads
- iPad can be positioned with the home button on the left or right
- Complete access to all iPad ports and switches when mounted
- 1 Large Rear Storage Pocket (fits small laptops up to 13 inches and letter size folders)
- 1 Full Front Storage Pocket
- 1 Half Front Storage Pocket
- 1 Small Storage pocket on the shoulder strap
- Quick access camera hole in front full pocket
- Quick disconnect shoulder strap
- 2 Utility hooks
- 2 Stylus / Writing Utensil holders
- 6 Elastic utility bands on shoulder straps
Submitted on 2013/07/17 at 12:41 pm by Billy Bright
This backpack is amazing. I take it with me everywhere I go (work, school, grocery shopping, walking my dog). It makes using your iPad incredibly easy no matter where you are. It’s comfortable and it has enough space to store extra stuff. I just came back from a trip to Nicaragua and using this backpack made me feel safe. I didn’t have to worry about holding an expensive digital device out in the public for people to see. I don’t have a Mac laptop but the thought of adding one to this setup excites me. I thread my iPad charger through the camera hole and in the outside pocket I have a portable iPad battery charger that I use if I ever run out of battery on the road. I have my OtterBox case Velcroed to the inside so when I need to use the camera I just unplug my charger from the side and pop my iPad out of the OtterBox case and take pictures. And then when I’m finished I just snap it back in and I’m ready to go again. This product makes life with an Ipad so convienient and now its $20 less! I would buy another one with that deal but I don’t have another iPad. Trust me, the quality on this product is great. Buy one and you won’t be disappointed.Submitted on 2013/01/12 at 1:41 pm by Matt Runyon
Just got mine. Bag is just what I needed for hauling my iPad around with my Seagate Go Flex Satellite drive. It’s like my own portable movie theater. Now all I need is a Mac book Air to fill in the pouch in back.Submitted on 2012/06/08 at 11:31 pm by Will
I’m loving this bag! The easel feature is just so clever and feels comfortable and stable, love the phone pocket, the construction is solid, and it has a surprising amount of storage. I do agree with Evgeny’s comment. An inner zipper pocket for extra security (passport, wallet, keys, etc) would be a nice feature. Great product, though. Very pleased with this purchase.Submitted on 2012/06/04 at 8:50 pm by Justin Wilmas
I purchased the original iBackflip bag just after it was released because I needed a bag to carry my iPad. Shortly after I discovered how coveinent it became as a handsfree support system and it became more of my everyday routine. After constant use, I wished it had more space for my charger, cables, docs, pens, and more. I just upgraded to the Somersault and found the space I need and more. This includes the ability for the iPad camera to work while in the bag, clip on the strap for ease of release, the clasps to hold my keys and the velcro straps for my pen. The people at iBackflip are in tune with what people need out of a bag, up to speed on all the new iPad features and all while making it stylish! Keep up the good work!!Submitted on 2012/05/27 at 11:27 pm by Evgeny
Can you add an inside zipper pocket for sensitive documents like travel passport?Submitted on 2012/04/11 at 11:06 am by William James
Somersault (Standard)Submitted on 2012/02/06 at 3:47 pm by Billy Foster
This is a very well thought out piece of kit and has some great features that will appeal to the iPad use on the go. Observations and some constructive criticism as follows:
1. Construction is solid and stitching looks sound. The overall finish of the straps is a bit scrappy and could be neatened up. Some securing loops for the internal straps would be nice as these tend to flop about a bit. Equally on the shoulder strap some neatening up would not go amiss – bit it looks workmanlike. Solid unfussy zips that work.
2. Not entirely certain about the utility hooks being positioned on the outside – not sure that I want to carry keys in plain view or in deed anything else for that matter but no accounting for taste
3. Phone pocket is a fairly snug fit for an iPhone in a standard case but does go in and the headphone cable straps work well although not exactly quick release as you have to thread through.
4. Bag is not ambi-hip-strous you have to wear it on the left hip to operate the swivel properly. The downside of this is that if you are wearing a jacket your top pocket and inside pocket are a bit blocked but for the young and trendy this may not be an issue.
5. Bag sits well when walking but does not stay put when on a bike – I was kind of hoping it would stay on like a messenger bag but it tends to want to do its thing and swivel round to the front.
6. iPad entry is secure and solid and will even allow you to put the iPad and snap on back in – I like this as when take Ipad out I like it to have back protection. Magnets work well.
7. Two sensible pockets at front and middle give plenty of storage for cables and other bits and pieces.
8. The swivel and use feature is good. Retaining straps for the top are sturdy and adjustable if a bit long – could they possibly be positioned a bit lower to make a little neater?
Overall for the travelling iPad user who wants access on the move this is probably a perfect solution. Have a feeling that this is going to grow on me so the extra star may come with love but at the moment it’s just nearly perfect!
I think this looks awesome, I so want to order one! But first I need to know, will the back pouch hold a 13? MacBook Air?iBackFlip: Yes the 13 inch MacBook Air fits.
Submitted on 2012/02/04 at 2:56 pm by Terrance Kirkwood
I have to admit, I thought this was going to be another lame and awkward idea for carrying an iPad, but after watching the video, I can totally see myself getting one of these. Very nicely done guys. Great design, great utility and get demo video – you really built up the anticipation by making me wait to the end to see what else I could do with those quick release snaps. ;-) I’m officially a fan of iBackFlip studios.Submitted on 2012/02/03 at 5:52 pm by Tara Doyle
This is an incredible product. My non-verbal child uses an iPad as an ACC device and a MacBook for educational purposes. I am concerned about the weight of this for him although it would be fine if we don’t put the Macbook in (its 10 years old and heavier than the new models). I’ll certainly put this on the wish list for him. How great for him to be hands free and still have his iPad completely accessible.Great Job!!!
"How does the camera work with the bag closed?"
Unzip the exterior large front pocket and tuck the corner of the pocket into the pocket. This will provide an unobstructed view for the camera hole opening. Start your video recording and then close the case, or attach an accessory that has a button function that acts as the shutter. When the case is closed you can position the camera where ever you need it and use the accessory to control the functions of the iPad. In the General Settings on the iPad, there is an option to disable the sleep-wake magnet function.
"Will the original iPad and the new iPad fit?"
Yes. Both the iPad 1, iPad 2 and the new iPad (3rd generation) will fit inside the iBackFlip Somersault Slim perfectly.
"Is there enough room for my power adapters, cables, keyboard dock and more?"
There is enough storage with the 1 front storage pocket to accommodate all sorts of cool accessories. The large laptop pocket in the rear of the bag can accommodate up to 13" laptops and letter-size folders.
"What about the 30 Pin Access for Battery Packs and Adapters?"
We designed the iBackFlip Somersault so you have full access on both sides for any 30 pin device. You can even thread a battery pack to it and leave a space in-between the 2 zippers to run the cable to an external iPad battery pack.
"Do you ship internationally?"
Yes. We currently ship almost everywhere there is mail delivery in the world.
"Do any shops carry iBackFlip products internationally?"
Not yet. We currently only sell our products through our online store.